Life's great journey is made up of day by day delights.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Chicken Pitas

I am constantly looking for healthy, fast meals because my work hours are so inconsistent. One day I might work from 9:30 to 6 but the next day I might be scheduled 2-9. It has it's pro's and con's but one of the mjor con's is that I can't be there for Eric to make him a nice, home cooked meal. I try so hard to make something ahead of time but sometimes life happens (imagine that!) and I can't seem to find enough time to prep a meal for him. That's even led to him heating up a frozen dinner from time to time! GASP! I hate the thought of that! So whenever I can find something that is healthy and quick I am all about it! I found this great chicken pita recipe from e-mealz.com and it was a home run. 1. It was so easy! I mixed it up, set it aside in the refrigerator and Hubby is able to assemble it himself with hardly any effort. 2. It was yummy! And surprisingly filling! 3. It lasted for 3 meals between the two of us. 4. A lot of the ingredients I already had (most purchased from Aldi)so I didn't have to invest a lot more into the meal. ALWAYS A PLUS especially when your husband is obsessed with doing things the Dave Ramsey way! haha

Chicken Pitas

1 Tbsp. Balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp. Chopped sun dried tomatoes, with oil
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 clove garlic minced  (I use the pre-minced stuff in a jar! LIFESAVER!)
1 1/2 C. Rotesserie chicken, shredded (I used pre-cooked chickenstrips b/c they are cheaper and I can save the remainders for salads. I still shredded it.)
1 Roma Tomato, choppd
1/4 C. Shredded mozz. cheese
3 pitas, cut in 1/2
1 1/2 C. salad greens

Combine first 4 ingredients together in a large bowl. Stir in chicken, tomato, cheese. Line each pita 1/2 with salad greens and divide chicken misture evenly among pita halves. Tadah! That simple.

Pita's are wonderful because they are delish and also low in calories. One piece of white/wheat bread is around 70-80 calories. So a whole sandwhich can range from 140-160 calories with the bread alone. A whole pita can range from 60-90 calories (depending if you get whole wheat, white, etc.). That's the whole pita! Such a savings on calories but not on flavor! Try this little time-saver! It's delightful!

No comments:

Post a Comment