Life's great journey is made up of day by day delights.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Green

Today being St. Patrick's day and all, I thought it only appropriate to blog about green things. Not about the history of St. Patty's day or about wearing green but more about being green.
Recently I made a visit to Half Price Books and found a great book about green cleaning and living. I've read a few chapters so far and have really enjoyed it. I've also been horrified. The author starts the book by discussing common household items, the toxins in those items, and the effects those toxins have on a person. SHOCKING. DISGUSTING. REPULSIVE. ALARMING. I always knew there were certain things to stay away from or from doing but this book has already opened my eyes to other dangers.
I have several motives for wanting to go green but they are far too lengthy to discuss on my blog. Let me just say, I am wanting to "go green" because I believe God wants me to. I need to take care of my body (not always the best at that), I need to tend to HIS planet (P.s. Not "Mother Earth"), and I have a responsibility as a wife to take care of our household to the best of my ability.
This book also includes tons of safe, cleaning tips for the home so yesterday I decided to try one of them out. We have a stainless steel sink and it needed a good scrub so I found this recipe and gave it a whirl:

1 Handful of Baking Soda
A Squirt of liquid dish soap
Some hot water

Mix that together in a bowl, take a scrub brush, and get to cleaning. Once fully scrubbed down, rinse, and dry. I did have a TADAH! pic for you but due to technical difficulties, my TADAH! is more of a non-existent blah. Just try to imagine the shiniest sink you've ever seen. Are you picturing it? Ok, that's my sink. And I have to say, it smelled so much better than some of the store bought sink cleaners I have used in the past. Tons of the recipes are made up of vinegar, water, salt, lemon juice and other things that I am actually familiar with and know how to pronounce. I am super duper excited to try some more organic, healthy cleaning and to go on this green adventure! I can't wait to share some of the things I learn on here with all of you!

How are you spending your St. Patty's day? Have you made some green choices lately? What are some green tips you can share with me? I would love to know. HAVE A GREAT DAY! :-)

1 comment:

  1. It ain't easy being green...

    (I really have nothing else...I just wanted to say that at least once today)

    ReplyDelete