Life's great journey is made up of day by day delights.

Monday, February 21, 2011

What a weekend!

This past weekend was one I have been needing for a while! Having gone through an icky few months of snow and ice along with being sick and the drudgery of work, a mini getaway is just what the Doctor ordered. It all started on Thursday....
My mom came down and we went shopping for some clothes with me. How perfect! Spending time with my awesome mom AND getting some retail therapy in. Deeeeee-lightful! Mom is such a hoot and also has great taste so she was the perfect shopping buddy.
Friday, I had to work but was able to leave early. Woo-hoo! When I got home, Eric and I threw some clothes in a suitcase and headed down to Nashville (Indiana, that is) for a largely anticipated couples retreat hosted by my old church. Nashville is in Brown County which is a beautiful and quaint tourist area that is largely popular in the fall, especially for camping and hunting. There are tons of rolling hills and gorgeous trees galore! Plenty for the eyes to take in but just in case that isn't enough, there are several little shops and boutiques to browse through. Although we are still in winter we had fantastic weather!! I'm talking lows 60's and upper 50's. Nice, right?? The drive was so scenic and speckled with some oddities as well such as a camel farm AND a little boy with a power mullet throwing rocks at passsing cars in an itty, bitty town. We stopped at the local McD's before going to the retreat. As I was enjoying my chicken nuggets I noticed this gem...
"Coon hunt with Black & Tans" haha  I lol'd when I saw this. I literally lifted up the blinds and snuck my camera under to get this shot. Excuse the gunk on the window.
After dinner, we checked in at the hotel and our room was so nice and cozy!! Waiting in our room was a goody bag filled with treats, love coupons (Example: "This coupon is good for one big hug."), and a $25 gift certificate to the Old Spaghetti Factory. Yumm-o. Eric and I are now excited for a date night there! Then we headed off to the conference room. It was so nice and I was so excited to see they used some of the decorations from my wedding for the tables. I had gotten 20 or 30 candle holders that I had no need for after the wedding so I gave them to the church to use for banquets and weddings.
Beautiful! And check out all of the goodies on the table! Mmmm!
Also on the table were these faboo cookies....
So good!
The evening was filled with fun games (The Newlywed Game), wonderful songs (O Perfect Love), and an awesome message (Busyness:The Enemy.)
After having a great night's sleep, Eric and I woke up to this beautiful sunrise...
Our camera didn't do it justice.
We enjoyed a wonderful breakfast with everyone then absorbed some more wonderful lessons! I was so encouraged by the mesasges I heard and really felt like I could apply them to my life. I am grateful we had the opportunity to go and to grow together as a couple!
Love him!
I actually had the rest of the weekend free so once the conference was over I suggested we head over to Cincinnati to see his mom. He called over, she was also free, AND had our nephew and new niece, Ivy! I was so excited because I had not met Ivy yet. Once we got there, we played with Wyatt and adored Ivy for hours. It was so nice to see them and to have that quality time with family we don't always get to visit.
Beautiful, sweet Ivy!!!
Wyatt going in for a kiss but Ivy not looking so ready. haha
Sunday, we enjoyed some wonderful services at church and even got to bring Eric's little brother, Nick, with us to the evening service. What a blessing!
Yes, this is exactly what I needed. Isn't the Lord awesome to provide me exactly what I needed at exactly the right time?? He is good.

I had an awesome weekend? Did you? What did you do??

No comments:

Post a Comment