Life's great journey is made up of day by day delights.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Cheeseburger Soup

I just love a good, warm, comforting soup in the middle of winter. Often it not only fills my belly but it lifts my spirits as well. :-)
Cheeseburger Soup is one of my latest e-mealz adventures and it was so good! It hit the spot and my husband devoured it which is always a good sign! If you're feeling a little chilled and need something to warm you up, try this recipe out!

Cheeseburger Soup
1/4 lb. extra lean ground beef
1/2 c.  chopped onion
1/2 c.  shredded carrots
1/2 c.  diced celery
1/2 t.   dried basil
1/2 t.   parsley
2 T.     flour
1         can chicken broth
16 oz. frozen hash browns
4 oz.   Velveeta light cheese, cubed
1 c.     {fat-free} milk

In a large soup pot, brown ground beef together with the onions, carrots, celery, basil, and parsley (I personally added some salt & pepper and garlic salt to taste but the recipe does not call for that). Drain out the icky, artery clogging greases as much as possible (don't worry! you'll be adding some more fat to it in not time! j/k...kinda). Add the broth and potatoes (they can go in frozen). Bring to a boil; simmer for 12 minutes. In the meantime, whisk the flour and 1/4 c. water until smooth. Blend into the soup; bring to a boil to thicken. Now add your cheese and milk!--->aforementioned fat. (I added about another 1/2 cup of shredded cheese b/c you know....who doesn't need more fat?). Stir until melted. Pull a chair up to the stove, find the biggest spoon you can, and eat it straight from the pot! Believe me, you'll want to.

I'm telling you, this soup is yumm-a-licious! You really can make it healthier than this but on a comfort food type of soup like this one I just don't care for the low sodium and the fat free taste. I should have taken pics.....hmmm....I need to get better at that. If it's not one thing, it's another. haha Give it a whirl and tell me what you think! ENJOY! :-)

What type of comfort foods do you like when it's f-f-f-f-freezing outside?

3 comments:

  1. We love to make soups and stews and casseroles in the winter! My favorite is a big pot of potato soup. My husband loves white chicken chili, sausage and potatoes, and tuna noodle casserole. Yum! This makes me hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to make this soup this week! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making this soup for dinner tonight! SOOOOO excited!!!!

    ReplyDelete