Life's great journey is made up of day by day delights.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

A Literary Appetite & A Family Trait

I come from a family of readers. As a child, Mom would try and try to make me read books. If I refused, as a young child, she would then sit me down and read to me. One way or another, by golly, she was going to get books absorbed into my brain. Of course I now understand she wanted me to enjoy and love books as she did but at 8 or 9 it seemed she was urging for the sole purpose of torture. One evening, as my uncle was in town, I remember coming down to the family room to see him reading the dictionary of all things. It blew my mind then and, I must admit, it still kind of does but at the same time I feel it revealed a hunger for knowledge and that was something I so admired! Through the years, my aunt has always had books as constant companions. I feel like she has read every book in the world...from the classics to the unknown's, she seems to have known them all.
Although I wish I had embraced this family trait earlier, I am glad I have done so now. My eyes have been getting a work out this month as I have read 8+ books. One reason, beyond genuine enjoyment, for this obsession is because I am a night owl and my Kindle makes it possible for me to soak in a good read which, eventually, leads to a good night's sleep. For a true book lover, the Kindle or any other e-reader might seem like an abomination. I get it, I do. There is something so amazingly comforting and good about holding a paper back. Smelling the pages, feeling them turn. But there is much to be said for a Kindle as well such as portability & accessibility. I can hear of a book or think of a topic, search it, and within seconds it can be mine. Regardless of your stance, I fully encourage you to embrace books and the worlds they can take you to.
I think a book becomes good when it can stick with you...become a part of you somehow. These 3 have done just that for me.

1. Sylvester or the Wicked Uncle by Georgette Heyer
My aunt and Mom have spoken of Georgette for years like an old comrade, encouraging me to seek her out and accept her friendship as well. I hadn't done so until my sweet aunt sent me a copy. I read, I embraced, and I love. If you are a fan of Jane Austen then this book would do for you perfectly! Georgette is so thorough with the details of the time period yet adds just the right amount of humour to make one embrace the semi-daunting terminology without fear. The characters, the scenarios....all seem impossible but it's a book and it's fiction and it's written so well that it makes it all okay.

2. War Brides by Helen Bryan
I stumbled upon this book on my Kindle one sleepless night. I'm always hooked when a book, fiction or non, involves World War II. If that is your weakness as well then this book should be added to your personal library immediately. This particular book is fiction but could have vary easily been a reality because, like Georgette Hyer, Helen Bryan pays great attention to detail of the time. I absorbed this book within a day or so because I was so drawn by all of the various character's lives and how they seemlessly began to blend together. Friendship, adventure, heartache, and strength are just a few of the threads that make this quilt of a story beautiful.

3. Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell
Another late night find, Julie and Julia was a perfect distraction from the random thoughts that tend to fill a person's mind at all hours of a sleepless evening. I was drawn in by both stories, not directly related but both interesting as they are. I felt I could relate to Julie, in a sense, to the point at where she was in life. Still kind of figuring life out for herself and having a few crying fits along the way. On the other end of the spectrum, I was drawn to Julia, a seemingly polar opposite of myself making her all that more magical. Like Julie, I am now a fan of Julia Child and find her a true treasure! AND it has inspired me to try my own French cooking adventures while picking up some of the language along the way. P.S.- I found the movie version in the $5 bin at Wal-mart today and loved it!! It is a bit different from the book, as most book to movies are, but it was beautiful and it will be a definite go-to on a rainy day. And really, aren't those the best kinds of movies anyway??

I hope that you try these gems out! Or, if not these, seek out an adventure that can easily be found in your local library or online e-source. If reading is a family tradition, like it is for me, carry it on!

Have you read any of these?? What are some books that you would recommend? Until next time, HUGS AND KISSES.....


1 comment:

  1. I am rеgulаг visіtor, how агe you
    evегуbody? Тhis ρost posted at thіs ωeb site is
    genuinely рleasant.

    Visit my blоg: still love me?"

    ReplyDelete